Solve Tar/Asphalt Stains At Home with Shout® Advanced Stain-Lifting Foam
Shout® Advanced Stain-Lifting Foam is the best product
for this type of stain, but our other products will work as your next-best option.
- Step 1. First, remove any excess. Place your garment face-down on a clean absorbent
material, such as a white paper towel.
- Step 2. Sponge the backside of your garment with turpentine or paint thinner, replacing
the paper towel frequently. Then rinse your garment with water.
- Step 3. Check the label. Make sure your garment is colorfast and washable and says
nothing about being “dry-clean only.” If the item meets both of those requirements,
you’re ready for Step 4.
- Step 4. Pretreat the stain with Shout® Advanced Stain-Lifting Foam or one of the other
recommended products. Be sure to rub it in for deep penetration.
- Step 5. Show some patience, but not too much. You should only wait 1-5 minutes before
washing your stain in the warmest water your item recommends. It would be a bad
idea for your clothes to let Shout® Advanced Stain-Lifting Foam dry before
- Step 6. If some stain remains, you may want to try dry-cleaning your item.
Shout® Pro Tip. Turpentine and paint thinner can damage
some fabrics. Test on a hidden area first. Do not use acetone on dynel, acetate
Shout® Warning. Use solvents in a well-ventilated room
as fumes can cause illness. Do not use solvents near an open flame or an electrical
outlet. Close container securely.